Free Beginning Knitting and Crochet Classes!
At Northwest Yarns, we are fairly certain that everyone would like to know how to knit and crochet, and if they do not yet know how, it is only because of lack of opportunity. To help populate the world with knitters and crocheters, we offer free beginning knitting and crochet classes! If you would like to get your knit and crochet on, please drop by for one of the classes below.
If you already know how to knit or crochet, but have questions about your project that you would like some assistance with, feel free to stop by as well!
Beginning Knitting Class - Every Wednesday at 4:00 PM
Beginning Crochet Class - Every Saturday at 1:00 PM
April 23rd: Beginning Wheel Spinning Class
Margaret Magic is here to answer the call of all you fledgling spinnners out there! In this two part series, you will learn the mechanics of wheel spinning on our various rental wheels. Try out a few and select one that feels best.
We will be meeting in two sessions:
- Sunday 4/23 from 11-12p to learn about drafting, treadling, and adjusting your various tension knobs to get you on the road to spinning more comfortably. Your goal in between classes is to get a few bobbins full so you can come back the next week to ply your yarns!
- Sunday, 4/30 from 11-12:00pm to learn how to to ply and wash your yarns.
If you're really in a groove, you are more than welcome to stick around for the April Spin-in from 12p until 4p.
Spinners signing up for this wheel spinning class will receive a beginner spinning kit including:
- 3 oz of fiber prepared 3 different ways for you to practice
Class dates: 4/23 & 4/30, 11-2
Cost: $60 per student until 4/16, $70 per student after 4/16
Minimum students: 1 Spinner
Maximum students: 5 Spinners (3 spots full!)
April 24: Spindle Spinning - Ply on the Fly
John is planning to lead a group of accomplished spindle spinners onto the Next Big Thing to up their fiber game.
Spindle spinning is convenient because it can be easily transported and worked on wherever you find yourself with some down time. However, it can be very disheartening to spin singles forever. Did you know your little spindle can make a 3-ply yarn ON-THE-GO?? Come learn how to do it in this one day, two hour, spindle spinning event!
- Spinners must provide or purchase their own spindles.
- Spinners must be able to spin a consistent single without breaking.
- Spinners get 10% off all of our fiber, so choose something beautiful and let's turn it into a gradient!
Class date: 4/24, 1-3pm
Cost: $50 per student until 4/17, $60 per student after 4/17
Minimum students: 1 Spinner
Maximum students: 4 Spinners
Sign-ups close: 4/22
April 26: Build-a-Sweater
This class is for the intermediate knitter who is ready to make for themselves the *perfect* fitting sweater.
Heather is ready to lead the next round of scrappy sweater knitters into victory. This class meets 5 times every two weeks in the evening 6-8pm, starting on April 26th.
Knitters will be using a pattern called My Favorite Cardigan, which is adjustable to any body shape and size. All class materials, including the cardigan pattern, yarn, and any needles necessary for the job are offered at 10% off to students.
- Size US 10, 47 - 60" in length
- Worsted weight yarn 700 - 1400 yards. Fits bust sizes 28 - 44"
Class date: This class meets 5 times every two weeks starting 4/26, 6-8pm
Cost: $100 for 5 classes before 4/12, $110 for 5 classes after 4/12
Minimum students: 2 Knitters
Maximum students: 6 Knitters
May 18: Felted Slipper Boots
Join Donna Hunter in this one-day class! During this class, you will create your very own comfy, thick pair of slipper boots of your own design using the wet felting technique. We will create a template that fits your feet, and use sturdy wool fiber that wears well. A non-skid sole will be provided to stitch on later.
- 5-8 oz of wool fiber (two kinds). Amount depends on foot size and boot height. This can be selected from NW Yarns after consulting with the instructor. Students save 10% on their wool purchase from NW Yarns.
Class Date: Thursday 5/18, 10-2:30 - includes lunch break
Cost: $95 if registered before 5/4, $105 if registered after 5/4
Minimum felters: 2
Maximum felters: 7